Artificial grass is the best way to have a beautiful, low-maintenance yard. It eliminates the need for fertilizing, watering, mowing, or weed removal, saving you a lot of time and effort.
When paired with rock elements, synthetic grass takes your outdoor space landscaping to the next level.
In this article, we’ll discuss some of the best artificial grass and rock landscaping ideas that you can use to invigorate your landscape. But first, let’s have a look at some facts about fake grass.
- What are the disadvantages of artificial grass?
Artificial grass has numerous advantages, but it also has some drawbacks.
Here are some of them:
- Synthetic turf installation is very expensive. The costs include labor, buying artificial grass, ground preparation, and grass removal. On average, artificial grass installation costs range from $8 – $15 per square foot.
- Artificial grass can result in harm. There are many different artificial turfs, each designed for a specific use. If you pick the wrong type of fake grass, you can get hurt if you fall.
- Artificial grass stores a lot of heat than real grass since it doesn’t have a natural cooling effect.
- Artificial lawns have a lot of drainage issues. If your fake turf is poor draining, water can create puddles that can lead to more future costs, especially when the issue is not handled early enough.
- Although the topic on whether fake grass is environmentally friendly is still up for debate, the materials used, such as plastic bottles and old tires, make it not very eco-friendly.
- How many years will artificial grass last?
Due to the advancement of modern technology, an averagely used and regularly maintained synthetic lawn can last 10-15 years. However, more high-quality artificial lawns can go up to 20 years.
- What rock do you put under artificial grass?
There are different rocks that can be used as artificial grass base material, but decomposed granite is the most preferred. Decomposed granite breaks down quickly, adjusting perfectly to the ground’s distinctive contours. It also allows for adequate drainage, which is very vital.
- What is infill?
These are the materials spread over the synthetic grass during installation to protect your lawn and keep the blades firm. There are different types of infill material that are used, such as Envirofil, cork, rubber, or silica sand.
1. Spice Up Your Dry River Bed
Artificial grass is an excellent way to add elegance to a dry river bed in your front yard. The diagonal and wavy river bed passes through the center of a lush green turf that fits perfectly with its flow.
Use rocks of different sizes to add more variety.
2. Enhance Your Backyard with a Putting Green
There’s no better way for your family to have fun in your backyard than with a putting green. Artificial grass has several advantages over natural grass when used in putting greens.
This mini golf course is bordered by small rocks which further outline the whole play area.
3. Refresh Your Backyard Patio with Artificial Grass
Artificial turf is an excellent addition to a backyard-raised wooden deck patio. The trees incorporated in the fake grass bring a more natural feel to the whole look.
The pebbles border separates the turf and the house and doubles as a drainage system.
4. Showcase Your Skills in Your Front Yard
The good thing about a synthetic lawn is that it always goes well with a centerpiece. The pavers and black mulch contrast the vibrant lawn, while the tree gives it a rustic element.
The different types of borders surrounding the lawn make it more aesthetically pleasing.
5. Elevate Your Enclosed Backyard with Fake Turf
If you have a small enclosed backyard, synthetic turf is a great option to improve your decor. The wooden fence and trees give the backyard a more natural appearance.
The turf is bordered by pavers and pebbles art at the base of the trees, adding more to the natural feel.
6. Transform a Backyard with Synthetic Grass and Boulder Bed
This synthetic lawn brings order to the structured landscape. The raised rock garden includes xeriscape plants that add color to the design, while the rustic planters and fence bring a neutral vibe.
This yard design can act as a great pet turf idea for your dog or cat to play around.
7. Instantly Boost Your Curb Appeal with Sweeping Curves
If you are a fan of a curvy yard, fake grass will help you achieve exactly that!
The black mulch and rock garden border add color and contrast to the curvy synthetic lawn.
8. Upgrade Your Yard with Artistic Flair
The stone sculptures and natural vegetation make this artificial lawn more interesting.
This is further complemented by the rugged stone pillars and earthy brown pavers. You can add a water feature to make it even more stunning!
9. Make a Conventional Pathway in Your Yard
Instead of the classic flagstone or pavers walkway in your garden, this vibrant garden uses artificial grass for the path.
The path divides the yard into different gardens, each with its own unique set of plants and trees.
10. Embrace Minimalism with a Simple Yard Design
This backyard uses a more symmetrical approach for its synthetic turf design. The rectangular synthetic lawn is bordered by decomposed granite and has a small rectangular garden at its center.
By the way, palm trees will never disappoint you when you pair them with artificial grass!
11. Liven Up Your Paved Areas
Pavers and fake grass will always look good together. The reason is that you can handle corners more easily with fake grass than with regular grass.
The synthetic turf is divided into two by a dry river bed, and plants and trees add more vibrancy to the yard.
12. Add Interest to Your Yard with Fake Grass and Pebbles
via Back Nine Greens
The combination of different focal points, such as the rock garden, pebble art, and paved pathway in this yard, add texture to the artificial lawn.
Dividing the yard with different elements makes it more attractive to the eye.
13. Cover the Slope in Your Yard
Mowing a slope is a challenging task. That’s why using artificial grass is a great alternative; it will save you so much effort.
The stone elements in this yard act as retaining walls and add more gloss to the overall design of the idea.
14. Bring Rustic Elegance with Boulder Edging
You can go all out with artificial grass and rock landscaping if you have a reasonably large yard.
The boulders act as edging, dividing the synthetic turf into several relaxation nooks. The shade from the trees makes the yard even more soothing.
15. Add a Rugged Appeal To Your Yard
The slate boulders bring contrast to this verdant synthetic turf.
The rock edging follows the turf on the small sloping yard, with the accent tree adding to the natural look.
Whether you are searching for a cost-effective, pet-friendly, eco-friendly, aesthetically pleasing, or low-maintenance solution, artificial grass is the go-to alternative to a natural grass lawn.
With a little bit of inspiration and creativity, you can elevate your landscape design and enjoy year-round beauty!