Adding a new plant to your nature collection without granting it a name isn’t acceptable at all!
Naming your plant makes you feel closer to it; plus, it’ll make a good joke whenever you have friends over, and you have to feed your baby Julia the whole time you’re referring to your plant!
They might not get it at first, but it’ll definitely generate some smiles after a while.
Human names aren’t the only ones you can experiment with when naming your plants; you’re allowed to be as creative as you like — you can even use a sleek catchphrase if you want!
Today, we’ll focus on some clever cactus names that may come in handy when you start to bond with your cacti collection.
Let’s get to it!
Funny Cactus Names
Cacti are one of the most straightforward plants to grow: you don’t need to worry about feeding them, they thrive wherever you place them since they aren’t choosy about lighting, and you don’t need to water them regularly.
On top of their undemanding requirements, these succulents have a lovely appearance, and they beautify spaces in their own unique way.
You can use them to adorn any place in your home, and they work exceptionally well in minimalist homes since they complement the style, and their deep green color makes them prominent focus points.
Most cacti houseplant’s names are based on their appearance. Since their surfaces are covered with small spikes that can easily hurt you, you’ll often hear words such as “spiky” or “pointy” associated with cacti plants.
Other clever names can be found in film and cinema, e.g., “prickle rick,” a reference from an animated show known as “Rick and Morty.”
Names Based on Cacti Spikes
Cacti usually don’t have leaves since their natural habitat is very dry and harsh; instead, they have spikes. These spikes lower airflow around the cacti, preventing the plants from losing water. The spikes also act as a defense mechanism against predators that might want to eat it.
The cacti spikes always look lovely, but they are very dangerous. You need to be very careful whenever you’re around these plants, especially when handling them!
If you’re a pet lover, you also need to be wary. It’s better to place your cacti strategically on top of a shelf where kids and pets can’t reach it.
If you’re a fan of cacti, it’s high time you named those spiky plants with some funny names that’ll bring some sweet chuckles among family and friends.
Here are common names based on cacti spikes:
- Spikasaurus Rex
- Piercy boy
- Needles (like poodles)
- Porky/porkie (short for porkupine — these also have spikes all over!)
Name Ideas with Double Meanings
Cacti have an odd-looking shape, especially when growing upwards, don’t they? They almost look like… well, I don’t have to spell it out for you!
But funny enough, this awkward shape of a cactus gives you a good chance of naming your cactus plant with a cool nickname with a double meaning!
Hidden messages are always fun and zesty, particularly when it’s an inside joke between you and your partner or crush.
You could tell your significant other whenever she comes over, “Even my cactus couldn’t wait to see you!”.
Here are some names you might experiment with to spice up your game:
- Long Dong
- Top Gun
- Big Boy
- Woody Allan
- Little Prick
- Big Gun
- Dick Prick
- Snake plant
- Big Prick
Ironic Cactus Names
We all know the risk of growing a cactus as a houseplant: you might get stung and hurt when you touch it. Since you’re keeping such a peculiar plant in the house, how about giving it a name that devoids its nature?
You can name your cactus your cuddling buddy and tell it to friends whenever they come over – the looks on their faces will be priceless!
Ironic cactus names are an excellent way of adding a bit of fun to your naming game, and we’ve compiled some great names whose meaning is different from what they actually represent:
- Hug Bunny
Non-Ironic Cactus Names
Now, let’s put the jokes aside for a minute and give the cactus plant a chance to express itself, a name that actually says just how painful they can be!
And it’s always an accident whenever you hurt yourself on these small pricks, but that doesn’t take away the pain that comes afterward!
Being stung by a cactus is like a hot sensation with a tickling effect; it can even leave you with a mark! Therefore, it does make sense to name your cactus with what they are known for best, especially when you touch them: pain!
Take a look at some non-ironic cactus names you can name your plant with:
- Ms. Prickly
- Sir Stabbington
- Stung Bee
Cactus Names Based on Movies, Series, and TV Shows
There are no limits to what you can use to name your cactus plant; you can use anything you like!
It’s much better to have the “Prickle Monster” in your home than a nameless plant.
Naming your cactus after something you relish will reveal much about your personality.
I mean, it’s not like everyone watches Rick and Morty, right? That’s only for the cool people!
Here are some cool cactus names based on movies, TV shows, and their actors:
- Prickle Monster – Our main protagonist (Or is it the antagonist? Let’s go with the main character!)
- Pokiemon – Pokemon needs no introduction; you must have watched it!
- Pok-Man – remember the old computer game of a giant yellow monster?
- Spike Lee – the legendary director of Marvel movies
- Prick and Morty – a reference to the animation “Rick and Morty”
- Pokahontas – a reference to the animation “Pocahontas”
- CactSUS – you must’ve played “Among Us” during the pandemic; I mean, there was nothing else to do!
- Elsa – the snow queen in “Frozen” (the perfect name for fairy castle cactus)
- Luke Skypoker – the infamous Luke Skywalker from the Star Wars franchise
- Me Hammer – “U can’t touch this”
- Bloat – a reference to a character in the animation “Finding Nemo”
- Merida – the brave Disney Princess from Scotland
- Atticus Pinch – after a character from “How To Kill A Mockingbird”
- Fuzz Lightyear – after Buzz Lightyear; a good name for an Old man cactus
- Smelly Cact – I hope you’ve watched Friends, a reference to a song played by Phoebe, “Smelly Cat.”
- Stabley Kowalski – a reference from “A Streetcar Named Desire”
- Marty – Alex’s best friend, the zebra in “Madagascar”
- Tian-tian – the well-known panda from The National Zoo, would be a great name for your zebra cactus
- Stabley Ipkiss – referencing “The Mask”
- Pricky Bobby – referencing the sports comedy film “Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby”
- Princess Peach – a fictional character in the Mario movie and games; the perfect name if you’re growing a Prickly pear cactus
- Corporal Pricks – referencing the famous movie “Aliens”
- Obi-wan – another reference to a character from the Star Wars franchise played by Ewan Mcgregor; this is an excellent name for a rat tail cactus since Obi-wan also had a rat tail!
- Pokachu – a character from Pokemon
- Angela Prickles – referencing the animated series “Rugrats”
- Whiskey – referencing Opuntia, also known as the Barrel cactus
- Doc or Bugsy – the perfect name for a bunny ear cactus
- Spongebob Sharppants – the always happy guy in Bikini Bottom, Spongebob Squarepants
- Tony Saguaro – referencing a character from the crime-drama series “The Sopranos”; a great name for a Saguaro cactus
Cactus Names Based on Pop Culture
We’ve already looked at the film and cinema domain, but now we’ll focus on pop culture; even Britney Pierce deserves her spotlight. After all, she is a star!
As mentioned earlier, giving your cactus a name derived from something you like will tell others what kind of a person you are, as well as your preferences (plus, there’s no need to let the chance of naming your plant after a famous singer go by just like that).
The list below consists of some familiar names and even made-up ones: the point here is you can be as creative as you like and name your plant after the celebrities you admire.
Here are some cactus names based on pop culture:
- Harry Spikes – referencing the English singer and actor Harry Styles
- Poker Face – a reference to a song by Lady Gaga
- Poke Smoke – referencing the rapper Pop Smoke
- Britney Pierce – a reference to Britney Spears
- Blue Ivy – referencing Beyonce’s adorable daughter; a great name for the Blue column cactus
- Old St. Nick – the perfect name for a Christmas cactus
- Cactus Everdeen
- Cactina Turner – referencing the famous Tina Turner
- PewDieSpike – you must’ve heard of Pewdiepie, right? A famous YouTuber
- Spikes McGee
Rhyming Plant Names
Rhyming may not seem as fun, but you just have to do it right for it to work!
Rhyming can be useful when you’re studying, and you want to memorize some notes, and it becomes even more fun when you relate it to someone or something.
Rhyming isn’t hard at all; everyone can do it! So, why not go ahead and have some wordplay with plant names?
Here is a list of rhyming cactus names!
- Katniss the Cactus
- Peter Prickin’
- Prickly Pete
- Peter the Prick
- Senior Saguaro (Saguaro is a cacti cultivar)
- Serena the Succulent
- Smokey Pokey
- Atticus the Acupuncturist
- Rick the Prick
- Carl the Cactus
- Dill Prickle
- Xena the Xerophyte
- Prickle Monster
- Stabby Daddy
Cute Cactus Names
Cute plants deserve cute names, and even though the cuteness of a cactus plant will speak for itself, it’s always good to have a name accompanying its adorable look.
Cute names aren’t for cacti plants or other plants only; actually, the names we will share with you have lovely symbolic meanings, and you can use them to name pets or kids.
Take a look at some cute cactus names:
- Flora – the perfect name for a plant since it encompasses the entire plant kingdom
- Blossom – for cacti plants that produce flowers
- Minnie – a reference to Minnie Mouse, the Disney character; an excellent name for small cacti plants
- Baby Bulbous – a great name if you’re growing a round-shape cactus
- Verde – meaning green
- Mr. Moon – the perfect name for a Moon Cactus
- Baby Pricky
- Cherub – a good name for a Small angel-wing cactus
- The Green One
- Ms. Prickly
- Dr. Green Thumb
Girl Names for Cacti Plants
A girl’s name will be excellent if you love tiny, fragile cacti plants.
Fortunately, there are unlimited girl names, each having its meaning, and you can use them to give your cacti plants some beautiful nicknames.
We’ve gathered some girl names for your cacti plants; take a look:
- Layla – Egyptian for Born at night (or Dark beauty)
- Samantha – Hebrew for the listener; a cool name for your therapeutic friend
- Diana – means Moon goddess in Latin; the perfect name for a Moon Cactus
- Vivian – Latin for full of life
- Sylvia – Latin for forest
- Reveka – Hebrew for captivating
- Stella – means star in Greek
- Chloe – means green shoots in Greek mythology
- Farrah – means happy in Arabic
- Zahra – Arabic for flower
- Arabella – means elegant and lovely in Latin
- Callie – stands for most beautiful in Greek
Boy Names for Cacti Plants
Girl names are suitable for your delicate and gentle plants, but some plants will be thick and sturdy as they grow – these types of cacti plants could benefit a lot from boy names!
Similar to girl names, boy names also have symbolic meanings, and there’s an endless list to choose from.
The good thing about names is that you can use them on many things. Therefore, these names can work for your plants, pets, and even kids!
Here are some boy names for cacti plants:
- Jesse – Hebrew for gift
- Henry – German for ruler of a household
- David – Hebrew for beloved
- Magnus – stands for greatest in Latin
- Austin – Latin for majestic dignity
- Phoenix – Greek for blood-red
- Zane – means God’s gracious gift in Hebrew
- Aiden – stands for sun god in Celtic
- Sebastian – stands for venerable in Greek
- Ethan – Hebrew for firm, safe, and strong
- Noah – Hebrew for rest and peace
- Chance – means good fortune in English
- Oswald – means divine power in English
Cactus Names for a Business
There are so many ways you can incorporate your plants into your business.
Plants make your space more lively with their beautiful color and bundle of life, just what you need for your business premises.
If you plan on opening a garden shop to sell your favorite cacti plants, or maybe you want your business to have a theme that resonates with your love for plants, a creative name could change a lot in your selling game!
But don’t worry! We’ve already gathered some great names that you can use to gather more interest and traffic for your business; all you need to do is focus on your hard work, and your business will be alright!
Please don’t go for complex scientific names for plants; no one wants to go to a cafe whose name they have difficulty pronouncing or remembering! Instead, choose lovely names that will describe your cute plant perfectly.
Here are some cactus names you can use for your business:
- The Cactus Crew – no need to explain this one. You can use it for any type of business; it doesn’t necessarily have to be about cacti plants only.
- Cacti Care – anyone who hears a business named “Cacti Care” would be interested to know all about it, so if you’re a botanist, go ahead and try your luck with a business with a similar name!
- Fuzzy Cacti
- Thorny Roses – your garden shop doesn’t have to sell one type of plant; why don’t you try selling roses and cacti plants with this catchy name?
- Believe in cactUS – this is the perfect name for generating confidence in your business, a cool slogan for your cacti business.
- Point Cacti
- The Cactus Shoppe
- Supreme Succulents – perfect for a garden shop with succulents like cacti and aloe.
- Cacti Landscaping Service – if your business deals with landscaping services, particularly cacti, this is an excellent name.
Naming plants is a fun thing to do!
You’ll always have those special moments when you tell your friends about your favorite cactus called “Ms. Prickly” or “Hug Bunny” and have a laugh together to lighten the mood.
There are numerous names to choose from: some have beautiful meanings, such as Ethan, Farrah, Stella, or Chance, while others even have double meanings like “Snake Plant” – you can never go wrong!
I hope the names we’ve shared in this article will assist you when naming your plants and take your connection to them to the next level!
See you next time, bye!